Hi. I'm Weston Cann
I'm smart, creative, and I like to solve problems, usually by figuring out how good software and human systems can help, and then bringing them to life. I've been doing both on the web for over 15 years.
If you hire me, I'll help you create quality products and better processes. You can call me at (916) 623-4017
or email me at weston @ canncentral . org.
- Markup and styling: I've produced literally hundreds of CSS positioned layouts that displayed consistently across browsers using the Blink, EdgeHTML, Gecko, Trident, and Webkit layout engines.
- Good software development practices — separation of concerns, loose coupling, SCM, MVC, TDD, OOP, etc.
- Database theory and practice: I've used both relational and document-oriented databases. I know SQL. I can bring home the data, fry it up in a query plan.
- How the web works on a protocol level: I could write my own web server in a pinch.
- How the web works on a social level: attention, link-bait, memes, "why wasn't I consulted", online community (I'm "from the Internet").
- What makes for good design and user experience.
- How to learn new things
Mathematics, Computer Science, Secondary Education, and Music.
I've Worked For:
- Genex/Meredith, focused on front-end work for web and mobile development projects for some of the world's biggest brands, from June 2012 through April 2016.
- Myself, doing freelance development on projects from integrating backend services to mobile markup from 2006-2012
- Logoworks (startup #3, sold to HP), doing account management on creative projects and covering the technical side of web projects from 2003-2006
- Career Step (startup #2, growing up just fine), building tutorial and education management systems in Perl from 2000-2001
- BYU's Computer Science Deparment, managing logistics, creating curriculum, and providing instructional support for their high school summer program during most of my 1990s summers
- The Waterford Institute, building multimedia education activities in Java for part of 1998
- Shopsite (startup #1, sold to OpenMarket), building one of the first ever turnkey web-commerce packages in C from 1996-1998
Email: weston @ canncentral . org